Tuesday 22 September 2009

Secret Origins - Benny step by step

The Secret Origins brief  asked for Benny ( Bernice Summerfield) to have just leapt through a train window to find a nazi officer with prisoner. Usually I'd do some thumbnails first to send to Big Finish. I bypassed that and went straight to pencils. Concentrating too much  on the train compartment and making things straightfowardly understandable made for a flat composition. neglecting the dynamism required. This was rejected ( rightly so) and I proceeded to thumbnails.
We jettisoned including the prisoner in the image and opted for a direct showdown between the protagonists. The first layout was more a comic action panel than cover design - the directness of the second with the graphic symbol of the swastika immediately caught the eye. 

I put Benny's head pretty much on the vanishing point and tried to train all the perspective lines towards this .


The monochrome colour scheme with a hint of blue gives a pulpy timeless feel to the image and the red armband immediately catches the viewers eye.

A

7 comments:

  1. great process stuff, i love the work on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the way you take us through your thought process of this project. I really feel the end product is fabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is SO GOOD. I'm absolutely loving your work at the moment, Ade, and the pared down colour really lets your lineart pop. Gorgeous work.

    (and like Marco and uriah, I love seeing process stuff! More please, BBC!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Honestly I prefer to see the WIP images, or the pencils rather than simply the finished work. It really shows the 'process' of work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. This is so valuable and interesting for the mere mortal artist. It's great art too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great to see how you work the piece out Ade... as a non-artist I find it fascinating and really quite impressive.

    ReplyDelete