Friday 12 April 2013

THE CYBERMEN




The Cybermen was the first comic strip I drew for Dr Who Magazine ( and some say my best). Back in '92 myself and writer Alan Barnes were new boys at the mag and had been given a page a month to tell our story by editor Gary Russell. Inspired by The Daleks  comic strip in TV21 we got to go colour by part 6. We had a mad crazy time in which I cemented a lifelong friendship with Alan whilst re-imagining the Cybermen origin. One day we might show you what happened to the baby ... one day.

Here's a link to all 24 pages  http://doctorwhocomics-nylon.blogspot.co.uk/2011/12/cyberman-salmon-barnes.html

4 comments:

  1. Loved this strip when it first came out. Used to get Doctor Who Magazine every month back then. One of the high lights of Magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! I'm still looking to add a page of this to my collection. And its high time there was a high quality reprint of this (along with a sequel!) I wish the mag would do a bit more 'experimental', maybe untried may be a better word?, strips like this. A gem that probably will never be repeated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I first saw this after a few issues had come out and it was about the time I was beginning to get DWM regularly (as it was harder to get here in the stats back then). I loved your art and that is the thing that first put your art on my radar. It was / and is such a unique style. It has been a strong influence on my own art and such.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw bits of this when it came out, as I started getting Doctor who Magazine on a regular basis (it was a bit harder to get here in the States back then) once the strip ha been running for a while. Ever since then I have tried to track down everything I could find that you had done! Your art style was like nothing I had never seen before. Actually that stip was a huge inspiration to me. would love to see a reprint of it.

    ReplyDelete